Friday, August 15, 2014

Being a Digital Leader

We've all heard the expression talking the talk and walking the walk.  As educational administrators, we are often too busy to walk the walk and I think that with technology, it is our greatest shortfall.  We model leadership, vision and communication, but so many are still not modeling digital leadership.  There are countless ways to get started as a digital leader!  Use social media, Tweet, blog,  post pix on Instagram.  Use an online response site at your next meeting, use Google docs to collaborate on an agenda and share minutes from a meeting, post a YT video of a school event.  If we don't model the way for our staff and our students, how can we expect them to effectively use technology for teaching and learning?

When Scott McLeod posted this #LeadershipDay14 Challenge to blog as school leaders, the first thing I did was post to Twitter to challenge my fellow administrators in my PLN to join me!  It's nice to know that we are not alone as admins - a sometimes lonely job that requires hard work and commitment from those of us in the roles.  Educational administrators SHOULD inspire and encourage each other to do more and be more, to take risks, to celebrate successes, to learn from mistakes and to model the way on all fronts.  We want our students and teachers to be lifelong learners and digital leaders - then so must we.



2 comments:

  1. Hello Jill. My name is Annie Gjertsen. I was a math/science division head at Buffalo Grove High School quite a few years ago. My best friend and former BG colleague, Elaine Steele Burcham, shared with me one of your recent "Instuctional friday focus" memos. I wanted to congratulate you on focusing on what really matters in schools, and that's what's happening in the classroom. I applaud your active observations of the BG staff in action. I just completed a course from Harvard on "Leaders of Learning" (see Edx.org). Much of the course explored understanding our own personal model of learning and leadership, knowing that today knowledge is everywhere, teachers are everywhere, leaders are everywhere. With that in mind, I was wondering how difficult it would be for you to also highlight the many great things you are actually observing in BG classrooms and share those with your staff in your "Instructional focus" memos. Let the staff become more familiar with what's already taking place right there at BG!!! Wishing you much success in the year ahead. Dr. Ann Gjertsen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann,
    Thank you for your comments and for reading my blog :)
    I love your idea about including what I see in my Instructional Friday Focus emails! I will definitely start doing that. btw, Mark Schaetzlein says hi!

    ReplyDelete